This barn dates to 1895 and was built by John Seelinger using interior framing salvaged from an older barn. Poplar Heights Farm was famous for its production of broomcorn from the 1890ís to the 1920ís. PHF raised the broomcorn. After being cut, the tassels had to dry for 2 months, hanging in bundles from the upper beams. It was then processed into brooms by other farms in the neighborhood ranging over to Germantown. The three east rooms of the broom corn barn were for storage of grains which were poured in through the east windows.
Restoration of this barn was begun in 2003 when the tin roof was removed and replaced with an original style cedar shingle roof. Most of the rafters were rotten and several had broken causing the old roof to sag. The south doors were replaced.
In 2005, the exterior of the barn was repainted. The badly deteriorated multi-light sliding glass windows were repaired, broken panes replaced, re-glazed and painted. Currently two of the corn bin rooms are used for storage of salvaged wood to be used in restoration projects. The third room has served as a workshop.
The west bay of the barn is now the Seelinger Broom Works factory. Antique broom making equipment takes the raw harvested broom thru the process of seed stripping to a finished broom ready for use in your home.
Visiting broom makers demonstrate the art of broom making at many of the Festivals held at the farm. Staff are training to learn the more complex styles of broom making.
Various styles of broom are for sale at Maude's Mercantile in the Learning Center at the Farm. All proceeds go towards children's programs.